Old fortresses and residences

Home / Art and culture / Old fortresses and residences

Alto – Earl Cepollini of Alto and Caprauna's castle
In 1320 the castle was built by the Counts Cepollini. Its back looks to the village and the opposite south side overlooks the Val Pennavaira facing the Castle of Aquila d’Arroscia. But the side overlooking the valley, which has a pretty loggia on the façade on the 2nd floor, was built later in the 15th century. The castle was plundered and partially destroyed during the French Invasion in 1796, but only later at the end of the 19th century it was refurtohed by demolishing the higher parts of the towers and by covering the building with a gabled roof. Nowadays the ghibellini merlons can be seen under the roof cornice as the outside plaster has peeled off.
INFO:  Via al Castello, 15 -  Ph. +39 0183 292671 (Don Ruffino) - segreteria@csdalbenga.it 
OPENING TIMES: Upon reservation 

Bagnolo Piemonte - Castle Malingri of Bagnolo
The Castle-Fort (11th century) and its walls still retain the early Middle Ages features; the Castle-Piano (14th century) – known as the Palace - is surrounded by a park, encircled by its stone walls, the green hedge, the age-old trees and it has been from the origin the residence of the Counts Malingri di Bagnolo. At least two or three hours are required to enjoy entirely the visit to the feudal building starting by entering the courtyard of the palace.
INFO: Via Palazzo, 23 – Ph. +39.335.5244080 - www.castellodibagnolo.it  - mayl@castellodibagnolo.it 
OPENING TIMES: download here.

Bene Vagienna - Benevagienna Municipal Tower
INFO: Piazza Botero - Ph. +39.0172.654152 - www.benevagienna.it   - ufficiocultura@benevagienna.it 
OPENING TIMES: every Sunday 10.00a.m.-noon and 2.30-5.30p.m.

Busca - Castle of Roccolo
The Marquis Roberto Tapparelli D’Azeglio built the Roccolo castle as his summer residence around 1800: this new and elegant palace was added to the other older buildings. The castle stands in a more than 500,000 square metres of century-old park and it is visible in the distance from the town of Busca. This neo-Gothic building has three towers and its impressive size is hidden by the graceful architectural lines. Some of the furniture which belonged to the family D’Azeglio is still in the interior drawing rooms decorated with frescoes and stucco. Queen Margherita – Umberto I’s wife - spent here many summers as guest of the Marquises and so did other famous persons coming to this place to enjoy its quiet and its beauty.
INFO: Frazione San Quintino, 17 - ph. +39 349 5094 696 (Mrs Beltramo) - info@castellodelroccolo.it 
OPENING TIMES: www.castellodelroccolo.it, download here

Busca – Belmone Hermitage
This architectural complex has always been known under the name “Belmonte” and its origin date back to the 13th century with the building of the Madonna’s chapel and the convent of Santa Maria from Belmonte. In the first years of the 17th century the complex has been given to the Camaldolesi from San Romualdo and it became a place for devotion and a destination for pilgrims. In the 19th century, some local aristocratics took possession of the building and used it as a noble cottage and decorated it with Francesco Gonin’s mythical paintings. During the second world war, the abbey of the church has been destroyed, so that one can only admire some ruins of the sacred place.
INFO: Collegiata of Carmagnola, Ph. +39.011.9723171.
OPENING TIMES:
Upon reservation for schools and groups.

Castellar - Castle of Castellar
The castle dates back to the 14th century and was transformed into a residence in the 15th century. The throne room contains fragments of frescoes of the 18th century and the piano nobile has a collection of the Royal Army. There is a small ethnographic museum in the stables and guest room.
INFO: Anselmo Aliberti, +39.338.7717709 – Carlo Maero, +39.347.6820019 – studio.aliberti@marchesatodisaluzzo.comwww.marchesatodisaluzzo.comwww.comune.castellar.cn.it .
OPENING HOURS: download here

Costigliole Saluzzo – Counts Giriodi Palace
This baroque palace, designed by B. A. Vittone, was built around 1740 and since 1922 it has been the seat of the Town Hall. The entrance portal, the wide entrance hall with its vault divided by its fascias and the staircase are really remarkable. The rooms on the first floor were elegantly painted in fresco in 1804 by L.Vacca, a stage designer and painter at the court of King Carlo Felice. The Palace tour includes the visit to the chapel below of the parish with its frescoes by Hans Clemer, known as “the Master of Elva”.
INFO: Via Vittorio Veneto,59 - Ph. +39.0175.230121 - www.costigliolesaluzzo.it  - info@costigliolesaluzzo.cn.it 
OPENING TIMES:  upon reservation.

Costigliole Saluzzo - Palace Sarriod de la Tour
The look of the Palace Sarriod de La Tour nowadays is the result of many structural modifications. It is thanks to Lord Tommaso Alberto Saluzzo that the last modification is the most important one. The Lord acquired the power of the village Costiglione in 1734.
INFO: Via Vittorio Veneto, 99 – ph. +39 0175 230121 - www.costigliolesaluzzo.it  - info@comune.costigliolesaluzzo.cn.it 
OPENING TIMES: on Saturday 2:30-7:00p.m., on Sunday 10:00a.m.-7:00p.m. .

Cuneo - Villa Oldofredi Tadini
The building was constructed in the 14th- 15th centuries as a watch tower to defend Cuneo. The Villa-Museum boasts a collection of relics and unique pieces collected over the centuries by the owners, the Mocchia di San Michele and Oldofredi Tadini families. The guided tour offered by the owners includes the chapel with relics of the Holy Shroud of Turin, the ground floor rooms, some rooms on the second floor and the park.
INFO: per informazioni e prenotazione: tel. +39.0171.612150, +39.0171.611489 - Via Ercole Oldofredi Tadini, 19 - www.villaoldofreditadini.it     - sanino@villaoldofreditadini.it    
OPENING TIMES: upon reservation. 

Cuneo - Tornaforte's Villa
Its good preservation, both inside and outside the Villa, allows a clear architectural reading. In a deed under seal dated 1445, “Nostra Signora dell’Olmo” has been indicated as a chapel long before in existence and well known in all the region, especially for a miraculous painting portraying the Virgin Mary. All the population contributed to build a sanctuary with a claustral monastery, as the primitive chapel was absolutely not able to hold the increasing flow of pilgrims. On 5 August 1595 – the day of Our Lady of the Snow – the friars of the St. Augustine Order entered here in a solemn procession. During the siege of 1774 – when the war of succession to the throne of Austria was affecting also our area - the church, the bell tower and the friary were seriously damaged. The PP. Augustinian community was suppressed and the friars were dispersed or massacred. The friary become a property of Count Bruno di Tornaforte e di San Giorgio Scarampi and the building was converted into a patrician residence with a wide English garden.The monument park offers the visitor some permanent points of interest:
1) The interreligious pathway “Dieci vie di Luce” (Ten ways of Light) was planned starting from the interreligious calendar “un anno di pace” (a year of peace), to emphasize the symbols and meanings of the faiths that have followers in the town of Cuneo: Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Islam, Shikism and Taoism. In addition to those eight symbols, two more have been added: the first one is dedicated to Augustinian Friars, the founders of the former monastery; the second, the flower of life, is an ancient symbol of creation. The pathway was made with natural raw materials like wood, stone, iron and steel.
2) The sensory pathway, for adults and children, offers the visitor the opportunity of reawakening senses and feeling the surrounding world, from a new and charming point of view.
3) The tree pathway: trees are silent guardians of life; the route winds among ancient and monumental ones.
4) The mirror little hill: the mirror reflects feelings. It is a pathway of love for oneself, where one can learn to speak to oneself and love oneself.
5) The ornithological pathway: with the help of an ornithologist, the observation and listening skills are stimulated, recognizing the birds in their natural environment. It is possible to hear about twenty different species: from the great tit to the chaffinch, from the turtle dove to the blackcap, from the blackbird to the spotted woodpecker.
INFO: Via Valle Po, 1 (Fraz. Madonna dell'Olmo) - Ph. +39.338.5000324 - www.villatornaforte.com   villatornaforte@gmail.com
OPENING TIMES 2017: download here.

Cuneo - Civic Tower
Originally 1317, to remember the peace between Cuneo and Mondovì, it was refurbished. The visitors can go up to the belfry by lift. On clear days from the tower top you can enjoy a delightful view of the whole town, the plain and the surrounding mountains.
INFO: ph. +39.0171.690217 Iat Cuneo -iatcuneo@cuneoholiday.com  turismoacuneo@comune.cuneo.it.
BOOKINGS:  tel. +39.339.4971686 - info@insitetours.eu 
OPENING TIMES 2018: download here

Demonte - Borelli's Palace
The origins of the building date back to the 17th and 19th century. The interior part keeps valuable frescoes. The outside façade with feautures of the baroque period ist well conserved. The building has a park of the 19th century with fountains and the “Centro Documentazione Lalla Romano” and the city library are situated here.
INFO: Piazza Statuto
OPENING TIMES: May - October

Fossano – Princes of Acaja's castle
The impressive castle was built in 1324 by the Lords Acaja. It had its heyday during the 16th and 17th century, when the duke came here with its court. The historical treaty, known as the “Fossano treaty”, has been signed here with the the French king. At this time Federico Brandani's works changed the look of the castle. Later, it became a prison and at the end of the 18th century a barracks. Since 1985, the library is situated here.
INFO: Fossano Tourist Office (IAT) Acaja Castle - Ph. +39.0172.60160  - www.visitfossano.it 
OPENING HOURS:  keep in contact with the Tourist Office Ph. 0172.60160.

Lagnasco Castles of Lagnasco
This building has the characteristics of a castle-residence. It was fortified when it belonged to the family Busca around 1100: its defensive measures were simple, just a little more than towers. The oldest unit stands with its angular towers dating back to the days of Manfredo IV di Saluzzo. The family Saluzzo feoffed this castle to the family Tapparelli in 1341. The valuable decorative features as the dummy colonnade and the floral decorations are characterised by the warm and bright colour shades creating a blaze of painting. Once this castle belonged to the Marquises of Bojl and its access was through a valuable door made by wood from the vine dating back to 1570 and it was given to the Museo Civico d’Arte Antica di Torino in 1877. From May the 7th 2019 a new child-friendly audio guide will be available, it has been made entirely by pupils from the Lagnasco primary school. The voice of the children will let the little visitors discover the wonders of the castles.
INFO: Via Castelli, 1 - Ph. +39.345.5015789 - info@castellidilagnasco.itwww.castellidilagnasco.it .
OPENING TIMES: download here. Other days and other months upon reservation.

Manta – Castle of Manta
This castle is a bright example of the court Renaissance of the early 1400. You arrive to the castle with an attractive uphill road and the first aspect surprising you is the irregularity of its shapes due to the different and successive buildings and their revisions. In the oldest part facing south stands a very high tower, which was surrounded in the past by the solid massive walls and by the other vanished square towers dating back to the 12th century.
INFO: Via al Castello, 14 - Ph. +39.0175.87822. Fondo Ambiente Italiano: faimanta@fondoambiente.it   - www.fondoambiente.it/beni/castello-della-manta-beni-del-fai.asp  
OPENING TIMES: From March to September, from Tuesday to Sunday 10.00a.m.-6.00p.m. October, November from Tuesday to Sunday 10.00a.m.-5.00p.m..

Mombasiglio – Mombasiglio castle – Napoleonic museum 
This castle has been built around the year 1000 and it is situated in the old town of Mombasiglio in a panoramic area. In 1796 the Napoleonic armed forces were billeted here and nowadays the Napoleonic museum has its establishment on the first floor.  
INFO: Piazza Vittorio Veneto 7 – Ph. +39 0174 780268 - Fax +39 0174 782935 - www.itinerarionapoleonico.com  - info@mongioie-leader.it  
OPENING TIMES: Monday to Friday 3:00p.m. and 4:00p.m. . Other days upon reservation.

Monasterolo Savigliano - Solaros' castle
This primitive fortress in Monasterolo di Savigliano dates back to 1241 and it was built for Tommaso I di Saluzzo. The conquests and the changes of this local fief correspond to the restorations and the extension of the old manor. During the war between the families Saluzzo and Acaja, this last conquered it and the building was feoffed to Martino Cagna di Agliè. And after his family died out the castle became property of the family Solaro di Moretta in 1604 assuming the title Counts of Monasterolo. Today the castle belongs to the municipality and this massive building is brightened by the decorations, the turrets and the big tower. Nowadays it is the seat of the Town Hall.
INFO: Piazza Castello, 6 – Ph. +39.0172.373026 – Fax +39.0172.373174 - www.comune.monasterolodisavigliano.cuneo.it - info@comune.monasterolodisavigliano.cuneo.it
OPENING TIMES: download here.

Mondovì - Civic Tower and Belvedere Gardens
This tower characterizes the town profile in its highest place, Mondovì Piazza, where the lovely Belvedere Gardens stand. Originally it was the bell tower of the demolished church of S. Andrea and from here you can have a wonderful view of the small town, the Langhe and the Maritime Alps. The 19th century old clock Jemina with its one hand face is still working.
INFO: Giardini del Belvedere – Ph. +39.0174.330358- info@comune.mondovi.cn.it  - turistico@comune.mondovi.cn.it
OPENING TIMES:  1st of March - 14th June Saturdays 10:00a.m. - 1:00p.m and 3:00-6:00p.m, Sundays and holidays 10:00a.m.-1:00p.m. and 3:00-6:00p.m.; 15th Juny - 15th September Saturdays 10:00a.m.-1:00p.m. and 2:30-7:00p.m, Sundays and holidays 10:00a.m.-1:00p.m. and 3:00-7:00p.m.; 16th September -1st November Saturdays 3:00-6:00p.m, Sundays and holidays 10:00a.m.-1:00p.m. and 3:00-6:00p.m. Every day for groups upon reservation.

Mondovì - Bishop's Palace
In 1388 Mondovì became  see and the town had to buy a beautiful palace with garden in order to host the new bishop; around 1630 the Bishop commissioned some embellishment works. The palace of "Vescovado" hosts the Sala delle Lauree ( Degrees Hall) where it is still possible to admire the portraits of noble inhabitants of Mondovì. The University of Mondovì began its classes in this building in 1560, but lessons were suppressed in 1566. Degrees were conferred in the above mentioned Hall until the closedown, on those students who kept on studying privately. In 1719 the Bishop's palace went back to its original function. In the Bishops' Hall are on display the portraits of the bishops who followed one another in the Mondovì diocese, while the Tapestry Hall takes its name from the four hangings that decorate the walls. The weaver is the Flemish Francoes van den Hecke, one of the most reputed of its time, who worked in Bruxelles at the beginning of the 17th century.
INFO: Tourist information Office - Via Francesco Gallo, Ph. +39.0174.330358, turistico@comune.mondovi.cn.it 
OPENING TIMES: currently closed for restoration.

Racconigi - Royal Residence of the Savoy family
It was built in the 12th century as a small fortress, but after different changes during the centuries it became a hunting summer residence belonging to the Carignano branch of the Savoy lineage. Little can be seen of the changes made by Guarino Guarini in 1600, but nowadays the residence has still some rooms that date back to 1700: the Room of Hercules, the Room of Diana and the Chinese Apartments. 
INFO:  Via Morosini, 3 – Ph. + 39 0172 84005, www.polomusealepiemonte.beniculturali.it 
OPENING TIMES:  http://polomusealepiemonte.beniculturali.it/index.php/musei-e-luoghi-della-cultura/castello-di-racconigi/visita-il-castello-di-racconigi/download herehttp://polomusealepiemonte.beniculturali.it/index.php/musei-e-luoghi-della-cultura/castello-di-racconigi/visita-il-castello-di-racconigi/

Racconigi - Berroni's villa
This French style Baroque villa was built in 1773 and it was erected from the central trabeation by the architect Carlo Ceppi. Its central Drawing Room decorated with stuccoes on Bolina’s instructions is imposing. The Red Room, the Dining Room, the Billiards, the Hunting Gallery, Carlo Alberto’s Bedroom, the Guest Room and the Dressing Room can be visited.
INFO: Via Tenuta Berroni – Ph./Fax +39.0172.813186 - www.tenutaberroni.it - info@tenutaberroni.it 
OPENING TIMES: May/October: every day – only for groups with advanced booking, closed in November/ April.

Rocca de' Baldi – Castle of
Rocca de' Baldi
Founded by Ubaldo, of the lords of Morozzo, in the 13th century, it was initially just a tower and an adjacent building. After being burnt and sacked by Spanish troops in 1543, it was rebuilt and enlarged, and enfeoffed to Carlo Filippo Morozzo in 1642.
INFO: Museum secretariat, Ph. +39.0174.587605 - info@museodoro.it - www.museodoro.it - FB Castello Museo di Rocca de' Baldi 
OPENING TIMES: download here.

Sale San Giovanni – Castle of Incisa Camerana
The castle dates back to about the X century, in order to oppose the plundering by the Saracens. Modified over the years, it now presents a magnificent salon decorated with paintings which were retouched in 1846 by G. Roselle and are surrounded by twelve small frescoes presenting the exploits of Aleramo, marquis of Monferrato. The castle enjoys a splendid panorama.
INFO: Via Salita alla Parrocchia, 23 – Ph. +39.011.744887 - alcastello@fastweb.net
OPENING TIMES: temporarily closed.

Saluzzo - La Castiglia
The imposing castle, called Castiglia, overlooks the 14th century historical centre, fesaturing cobbled alleys, steep flights of steps, churches and stately homes. The centre of the social and economic life was the so called "Salita al Castello" (ascent to the castle), flanked with noble palaces and elegant buildings in Gothic and Renaissance style.
INFO: Piazza Castello – Ph. +39.0175.211420 - cultura@comune.saluzzo.cn.it  
OPENING TIMES: download here.

Saluzzo – Saluzzo civic tower
Together with the adjacent Gothic bell tower of S. Giovanni this Civic Tower is the symbol of the town and it was built with the old town hall under the marquis Ludovico I in 1462. In the middle of 1500 this tower was embellished on the superior floor with a polygonal arcaded loggia and it was finally restored in the nineties. From the 48 metres height top the medieval town, the view of the Cuneese plain and the Cottian Alps can be seen.
INFO: Via San Giovanni, 1 – Ph. +39.0175.218047, +39.0175.41455 - cavassa@comune.saluzzo.cn.it
OPENING TIMES: download here.

Saluzzo - Villa Belvedere

Originally the marquises of Saluzzo used the Villa as a hunting lodge. In the last years of the 15th century it was transformed into a noble residence by Ludovico II. Towards the mid-16th century it fell into the hands of Ludovico Birago, who governed Saluzzo for France, and he gave the villa its current appearance. In the early 18th century the Radicati family of Marmorito acquired it and the building remayned almost entirely unaltered until 1977, when it was willed to the Municipality of Saluzzo.
INFO: Via San Bernardino, 17 - www.saluzzoturistica.it  
OPENING TIMES: download here.

Savigliano - Taffini d'Acceglio palace
This magnificent Baroque building was constructed, possibly by Ercole Negri di Sanfront, for the marquises Taffini d’Acceglio at the beginning of 1600. On the noble floor there is the Aula Regia where the military deeds of Vittorio Amedeo I di Savoia are portrayed by the most important artists of this period in an extraordinary sequence of frescoes. Herein there is the Mùses - the European Academy of Essences www.musesweb.it .
INFO: Via Sant'Andrea, 53 – Ph. +39 0172 370736 - www.comune.savigliano.cn.it - turismo@comune.savigliano.cn.it 
OPENING TIMES: Tuesday to Sundays: 10:00a.m-6:00p.m.

Savigliano - Civic Tower
The tower that we can nowadays admire is the result of many different building phases that cover a large number of centuries. Its first construction is usually said to date back to the  XIII century, when the family Nobili d'Ospizio built a tower in order to defend their house. It is one of the few medieval defense tower of Savigliano that we can still admire. In 1303 the Town of Savigliano gave the tower to the Casana or Monte dei Pegni (pawnshop) founders who added storeys completing the part made of bricks. In 1447  the Town of Savigliano got again possession of the Tower and in 1535 built the upper part replacing a steeple built in 1465.
INFO: Piazza Santa Rosa, tel. +39.0172.710247, 0172.370736, turismo(at )comune.savigliano.cn.it
OPENING TIMES  temporarily closed.

Vinadio - Fortress of Vinadio
The fortress of Vinadio is one of the most important examples of the military architecture in the Alps. The construction of the fort “Albertino” was decided under the reign of Carlo Alberto di Savoia and it might had been an impregnable fortress in defence of the border between the Piedmontese State and France, when the county of Nizza still belonged to Piedmont. It was the prison for 400 followers of Garibaldi in 1862 after they had been captured in the battle of Aspromonte.
INFO: tel.  +39.0171 959.151 - +39 340.4962384 - info@fortedivinadio.it; www.fortedivinadio.it 
OPENING TIMES
: download here.

Castle of Roccolo - Busca
Castle of Castellar
Ph. T. Aimar - Castle of the Acaja - Fossano
Castle of Lagnasco - la Loggia
Castle of Lagnasco - Courtroom
Castle of Manta - Archivio F.A.I.
Ph. g. Majno - Castle of Manta
Castle of Mombasiglio
Royal Residence of Racconigi - Souhtern front
Royal Residence of Racconigi - Ercole's hall
Royal Residence of Valcasotto - la Cappella